From:
Evonne Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:48:22 -0500
Since I mentioned the pumping issue in my previous post just thought I'd
comment.  I always teach hand expression before I hook anyone up to an
electric pump.  These are for moms either returning to work or pumping for a
sick baby.  We discourage new moms from going home with electric pumps, but
will not refuse to rent.  They can go elsewhere and not receive  correct
instructions.
I teach hand expression to almost every mom that I have hands on consults
with.   The reason is usually to show her she does have "something" in there.
 These are moms who are less than 24hrs postpartum.  I don't go into the
whole Marmet technique, just simple instructions.
Just like all professions, there are the good and bad. And definitions of
these will vary.  Lighten up on each other.  I tend to go with the group that
says do whatever it takes to get the milk to the baby.  It is always better
than the alternative.  Some moms won't do it any other way.  Until our
society changes so that moms can be home with the babies maybe this is one
step to staying connected in some very important way!  At least the baby gets
something from the mom he isn't seeing.
Evonne