From:
Carolyn Bolton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:01:55 -0400
As  a Lactation Consultant and a NICU nurse that is the standard to instruct
parents that feedings should not last longer than 30 min.  I am under the
impression this refers more to babies who are not good Po feeders and
forcing" them to bottle feed just to say they took the whole thing when they
are not ready can stress them and then "burn more calories."  I have no
literature to back this up but I have been in the NICU since 1991 and that
has been the standard.  I, of course, let the breastfeeding go on longer
because I know most of the smaller babies 33-35 weekers just are slower,
takes more breaks so they are not feeding/transfering milk continuously.

Carolyn

Pittsburgh, Pa