From:
Lesley McBurney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 22:05:29 +1000
I have been skimming my digests a lot recently and can't remember if this
story came up.
My mother is a big Anglophile and buys a weekly newspaper called
International Express, which is a compilation of news stories from English
newspapers during the previous week. I see it secondhand.
The 23 July issue tells a story of a Wandsworth councillor who the Mayor
(female) had removed because she breastfed her baby during a council
meeting.  Her husband usually minded the baby but was sick that day. The
Mayor, on discovering that there was no official rule banning children from
such meetings, is unrepentant and insists that such a rule be in place
before the next meeting.
That was bad enough but what got me going was reading a paragraph by regular
columnist Anne Robinson (note, also female) who supported the mayor
wholeheartedly and stated "Ladies lavatories are for breastfeeding".
I had faxed a letter to the editor but it's probably too late now.

Lesley McBurney, Brisbane, Australia