Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:56:53 EST

Patricia writes:

The one  think that the institute does  is that when you visit the website
(www.upledger.com)looking for a practitioner you can see ALL the classes
they  have taken/ if they are teaching assistants and  if they are
certified...

For our purposes as ibclc's we are looking  for someone who has trained in
peds/

~~~
This is not very technical, but I learned about the bodywork practitioners
in my area from mothers who worked with them. When I first learned about
CST  about 7 years ago, it was through a mother/baby dyad experience in which
this poor baby was so miserable with reflux pain that he was basically
anorexic,  would not breastfeed, could barely bottlefeed, and cried about 23
hours a day,  this baby was MISERABLE. No tongue tie. MD put baby on one reflux
drug after  another with little positive change and the lovely side effect
of the first one  was insomnia as well. Maybe the drug just didn't work and
baby was in too much  pain to sleep? Mother and I kept in touch. Someone had
recommended CST to her,  and within a few weeks baby was off all meds, was
breastfeeding happily without  any need for supplementation off breast, and
baby was much better in general. As  mom said he always had "some issues" in
terms of gut comfort and general  outlook/processing of life information (
as did both parents), but  WHAT a difference. So I decided I needed to learn
more and went to many CST  sessions with new parents so I could watch the
practitioner, learn from him, and  share my observations and impressions as
well. We try to work as a team and it's  been very helpful for many nursing
families over these past near  7 years. When I looked this person up on
Upledger, he was not certified in  CST, but has taken many core courses, has
other certification in  bodywork. I also know from experience that he is  both
highly skilled  and wonderful with families, explaining what he does and why
it makes a  difference. He has become the go-to person for me and the
families I work with,  because although he was not trained in peds, he allowed the
babies to teach him,  pairing what he already knew, with what they had to
share. This has made me a  "rogue" practitioner, losing referrals from MDs
who used to respect me. In the  end, it's about the families, so I still
openly discuss what I have learned from  this person and the babies themselves,
so families can make their own decisions.  By the way, I found the
practitioner totally open to my being at visits over and  over for years as I learned
and he learned too. It's a great collaboration  effort and makes up for
being blacklisted by some MDs...:)

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL