From:
Ruth Fiedler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:20:22 +1000
 Hi all,
When I read the summary of topics in the digest format of lactnet, I asked
why did I breastfeed my children.  The truth was that despite the sore
nipples due to poor attachment with the eldest and some mastitis * I enjoyed
it and the baby enjoyed it*.  I did not breastfeed because of any of the
health benefits for the baby or myself.  I did not breastfeed because of the
huge financial savings.  I did not breastfeed because of any of the time
benefits (making and cleaning bottles).  I did not breastfeed because I
wanted to reduce waste and pollution by discarding empty tins, old teats or
save on washing up water.

I never was surrounded by babies let alone breastfeeding dyads before I had
my own children.   I had never talked about breasts even to my own mother.
Yet despite this, I never felt uncomfortable breastfeeding in public (even
though I understand that there are some mothers who take time in becoming
comfortable in breastfeeding in front of others).

I wonder how many of promote that one of the best reasons to breastfeed is
because it is simply enjoyable.  Breastfeeding baby simply feels like the
right thing to do?   How many of us are very quick to rattle off the health,
economic and social and time benefits - but how many of us at antenatal are
just as quick to say that almost every mother we see says that they want to
breastfeed (and work through poor start issues) simply because it feels
right.  Once mothers and babies who have had poor starts work through their
issues, they find that they really enjoy the experience.

Yes, I am sure that many of you will tell a story of the mother who did it
because they knew it best best for one reason or another.  But with all the
hype of artifical baby milk, one would think that they would easily give up
(and in some countries more than other there are mothers easily persuded by
this hype)  but many do not.   Those that do give up most often end up with
unresolved grief issues.  You see, I would guess that over 90% of mothers
breastfeed because of their psyche which draws them to breastfeeding.
Unfortunately, in the west, we do not listen to that little inner voice, to
intuition because it the media can shout louder than it.   Those mothers
that do listen to their little inner voice and to intuition find that when
they breastfeed they enjoy it.  I believe that only mothers and babys who
enjoy breastfeeding breastfeed.

I understand that some researchers say that after the birth mother's most
often want to know what is in doing something for them.  Surely then the
first thing we need to begin to promote about breastfeeding is that it is
enjoyable.  Convenience, health and economic issues are in reality poor
second cousins.

There will always be horror breastfeeding stories as there are birthing
stories.  But, does that mean that every birthing experience is a negative
one?  No.  In fact most women can deliver babies with out medical
intervention (not that I am advocating there should never be intervention as
women and babies died in birthing).  There are women who find birthing a
positive experience.  Surely positive birthing experiences should be
promoted far more than they are.

Is every breastfeeding experience a negative one?  No.  Most women can
breastfeed given time and when helped to get back in contact with intuition
and understanding baby behaviour.  There are many women with positive
experiences.  Surley we should promote this side of breastfeeding more.
Women have a right to enjoy their babies.  There is so much hard slog in
parenting.  I think that we have forgotten about how to encourage mothers
and fathers to simply enjoy their little one somehow, sometime.  Learning
how to enjoy one other, and for a mother and baby that involves
breastfeeding, is important so that we can cope with the difficult times.

Please let us never forget the importance of enjoyment.

Cheers
Ruth Fiedler
Australian Breastfeeding Counsellor