From:
Judi Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:08:32 EDT
We are required to give the moms the bags with the formula.  I started
teaching when I bring in the bag.  I point out who provided it and ask them
why they think that is.  Of course they know the purpose.  I choose not to
run down the company but simply point out they are a business who wants to
earn money.  So many moms tell me of the samples sent home that I am grateful
for the opportunity to point out that it may be sitting there tempting them
to think it is the solution if they are tired, or sore, or anything else.  I
discuss the dangers as well as the rare times it can be of use as can any
medication.  We have so much work to do in education new moms.  For example I
have so many who are afraid of breastfeeding, afraid they cannot do it.  A
few days ago there was discussion of pumping and the overuse of such.  I did
not respond then, but one benefit I see is in a mom who has a reluctant
nurser and she fears he or she is not nursing because there is "nothing
there."  If we pump and get even a small amount, it seems to be a confidence
builder.  I guess my theme is to take our difficulties and emphasize the
positive.