From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:52:55 -0700
 Julie:  YES...allergic reactions are theoretically possible to ANYTHING.
That means fenugreek, but it also means body soap, laundry detergent,
deoderant, additives to water, strawberries, cmp, soy, latex, etc.  (I
could go on, but...) So, I always start out with a modest, sub-clinical
dose and work up from there.  The sage LLLI advice of "always watch your
baby and listen to your instincts" definitely applies here.  There are some
complicating factors with herbs in that many suppliers don't tell you or
even know themselves whether the herbs have been sprayed--either while
growing or while in storage/processing.  It is as likely that a mom/baby
who reacts is reacting to the adulteration by these chemicals.  A switch to
a guaranteed pure source would work, but better yet, why not start with
one?  In mom's who have respiratory allergies to ragweed and various
grasses, I'm cautious, but still use fenugreek.  In moms with mold
allergies, it is essential to use herbs that are not moldy (makes sense,
right?).  I would not give fenugreek to a mom who has had an anaphylactic
reaction to ingesting a simlar herb (duh).  Allergic reactions can manefest
in a variety of ways:  respiratory, intestinal, dermatologic, etc.  There
is no rule of thumb except that the site of first contact is the likely
site of first reaction.  'Hope this helps.

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )