From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:52:07 -0400
To  : Virginia
Re  : Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Virginia,  I don't know that I can add more than what I have published in my
new book as follows:

"Glucosamine is an endogenous amino monosaccharide that has been reported
effective in resolving symptoms of osteoarthritis.  Administered in large
doses,  most is sequestered in the liver with only minimal amounts reaching
other tissues, thus oral bioavailability is low.  Most of the oral dose is
metabolized in the liver and subsequently incorporated into other plasma
proteins.  No data are available on transfer into human milk.  Because
glucosamine is primarily sequestered and metabolized in the liver, and
because the plasma levels are almost undetectable, it is unlikely that much
would enter human milk.  Further, the fact it is so poorly bioavailable, it
is unlikely that an infant would receive clinically relevant amounts."

"Chondroitin is a biological polymer that acts as a flexible connecting
matrix between the protein filaments in cartilage.    It is derived largely
 from natural sources such as shark or bovine cartilage and chemically is
composed of a high-viscosity mucopolysaccharide (glycosaminoglycan) polymer
found in most mammalian cartilaginous tissues.   Thus far,  chondroitin has
been found to be nontoxic.   Its molecular weight averages 50,000 daltons
which is far too large to permit its entry into human milk.   Combined with
a poor oral bioavailability and large molecular weight, it is unlikely to
pose a problem for a breastfed infant."

While there is substantial data suggesting the these product may work in
some arthritics,  they do not work in all patients.  But they are not very
toxic and are probably worth a try.

Regards to my Australian Friend

Tom Hale, Ph.D.