Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:23:05 -0400
My MA is from Pacific Oaks College.  It is in Human Development with a
speciality in Human Lactation, Ellen Schell and Shelly Marmets' undergrad
and grad degree.  I do not have the number of how many of us graduated
from the program, I graduated in 1994, but we are out there and not all of
us are RN's.  Shelly, as a speach pathologist, has dreamed of the
Lactation profession as having the same credentialling and recognition and
Sp. Path.
There are a few other programs out there, far and few between.
 I lived in Puerto Rico and traveled back and forth to California working
part-time over a 5 year period to earn the MA.  I was IBCLC before I
started on the journey.  I was ready to move ahead in my career.  I toyed
with the idea of nurse midwifery, nurse practioner, early child
intervention/education and history but when I found out about the degree
in HDev and Lactation I knew that it was a perfect fit.  It was also an
extention on my years in La Leche League.
Maybe with our combined expertise and assistance we can help colleges see
the validity to such degree programs.  I feel I gained a lot from the
Human development component, such as: counseling, understanding diversity,
development from birth to death, conflict resolution and adult education
to name a few courses.
Ann G. Cagigas, RN, MA, IBCLC
GSA Health Unit,  Room 1010
1800 F St., NW