From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:09:54 -0400
I haven't seen this mentioned here, so please forgive me if I am repeating:

July 14, 2014 AAP press release: Bed Sharing Remains Greatest Risk Factor for Sleep Related Infant Deaths
http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/Pages/Bed-Sharing-Remains-Greatest-Risk-Factor-for-Sleep-Related-Infant-Deaths.aspx

original study:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/07/09/peds.2014-0401.full.pdf+html

It seems that two major SIDS risk factors - not breastfeeding and maternal smoking - were not accounted for in the study.

Bedsharing was defined as 'the infant sleeping on the same surface with a person or animal'. For the statistical analysis, however, adult bed and adult body were lumped together. So once again sharing sleep on a sofa or recliner was conflated with bedsharing. The authors conclude, 'The younger infants were more likely to die while sleeping on the same surface (usually a bed) with adults ...' though I do not see any breakdown in the study of the percentages for adult bed vs. adult body.

While I appreciate what the authors of the study were trying to do - to see if there are different parameters for infant sleep deaths at different ages (younger vs. older babies) - what the AAP takes from this for their press release is that bedsharing is always unsafe. This is the message the media will pick up on, though I haven't seen anything yet.

Would love to hear thoughts from others...

Kind regards,
Michelle Roth, BA, LCCE, IBCLC