From:
"Susan C. Jacoby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:24:14 +0000
Breastfeeding related, unhappily:
These instances of corporate power exerting excessive influence into the
medical world is just one symptom of a larger issue: that corporations have
the same rights as individuals to freedom of speech.  That they enjoy
freedom of speech and other rights of "personhood" was not always so- this
came about in the early 1800s when railroad barons manipulated the legal
system to gain undue power, and things have run amok since then, to the
point where now individual citizens actually have fewer rights than
corporations.  This is only true because we ALLOW it to happen,
collectively.

Lactnetters who feel frustrated about the excesses of corporate power may be
interested in a program I have recently discovered, sponsored by the Women's
International League for Peace and Freedom.   It is called
"Challenge Corporate Power, Asserting the People's Rights"
and can be found at the following site:
http://www.wilpf.org/corp/cintro.htm
Until joining the ten-week study group, I was not aware of some of the
historical factors which have allowed corporate power to become so
excessive- it is fascinating and enlightening, and maddening. Just as I was
unaware of these issues, members of the AAP are no doubt unaware (although
this does not excuse their pandering.)  If we all educate ourselves fully
about this issue we will be more able to talk truth to power and to look for
politicians who are willing to do the people's bidding, not that of their
corporate masters.  Campaign finance reform is obviously a necessary part of
the solution as well.  As aware and concerned citizens (no matter how
distressing this reality is...)  I think we are obligated to help others
become educated on this issue. One RX for individual influence towards
change:  check out the website and form a study group, (and keep writing
letters, too.)

Sue Jacoby, IBCLC
Clovis, CA