From:
Theresa Moutafis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2017 21:00:52 -0400
Jennifer (and all who are following this!),

Again, interesting thought. I wanted to see what the actual definition of
"evidence-based medicine" is and it's this: "*Evidence based medicine* (EBM)
is the conscientious, explicit, judicious and reasonable use of modern, best
*evidence* in making decisions about the care of individual patients. EBM
integrates clinical experience and patient values with the best available
research information."

We were always taught as dietitians (and I know other medical fields are
taught like this and work like this, but I only want to speak from my
experience) that while nutrition research is ever-evolving we should work
with the best available evidence with a healthy dose of clinical experience
and intuition. My RD colleagues often work with off the beaten path
therapies, however, some with great success for their patients.

I'm curious about the statement that most research is "corrupted". In what
way? What about studies funded solely by universities or, in the US, the
NIH?

With regards to herbs and breastfeeding, both my new-ness and my RD hat
cause me to look objectively right now at the usage of herbs. I also am
concerned about the problem of unregulation (again, in the US) of
supplements - how do we know the fenugreek capsules actually contain
fenugreek and not, say, domperidone? None of my certifications allow me the
right to "prescribe", either.

Thanks for the discussion and I have to say I've only recently joined
LACTNET and I save almost every email that comes through. You all are such
a wealth of knowledge and I"m so happy to be here!

Theresa

--
Theresa M. Moutafis, MA, RD, LDN, CDE, IBCLC
Nutrition and Wellness Consultant