From:
Barneveld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:12:08 +1300
While there certainly sounds like some possible attempts to schedule going on here, I wondered reading the story wether the mother is responding to the baby this way through reverse behaviour modification ie the reinforcement she has got from the baby's previous behaviour. For instance I have observed some reflux babies who take a long feed get extremely distressed shortly afterwards and be quite difficult to feed at all later in the day. And I also have heard mothers of reflux babies talk about how their best feeds can be after they ahve had  a long sleep. I have been around three very severe reflux babies all with LLLL mothers one of whom actually required surgery (which is why I minimise Jonathan's degree of reflux) and I know at different times they tried all sorts of strategies to try and minimise their babies discomfort including shortening feeds and jumping through rings trying to get them to sleep for more than 20 minutes because sleeping is the one time they are not crying. I can imagine that this is one of those frustrating times when you want it fixed and gone away but I wonder if a change of focus to letting the mother talk out her expereince of being this baby's mother might be helpful. Maybe the different stories "non" compliance is because her emotional resources are so depleted she just cant take stuff on board cos she's full of six months worth of her struggle being minimised (a pead who wont prescribe meds? I've had two mothers get second opinions on that this week and have significant improvement) Even if she is "babywising" maybe thats because it offered her another option - its very seductive to a mother with a baby who is fussy and unhappy anyway.
As for grandmother's nursing a couple of years ago I did a breastfeeding session at a local marae (a gathering place for Maori -NZ's indigineous people) and one of the health workers who had invited me mentioned breastfeeding her two year old grandson when he stayed with her. She didn't know if there was any milk but it comforted him when his mother wasn't there. For those out of NZ while there has been a huge cultural rennaissance in the last fifteen years to all intents and purposes urban Maori live a fully westernised lifestyle so this was almost as remarkable as if my mother had said she breastfed my son.
Sonja LLLL Lower Hutt (who has just had three nights of being woken every 90 minutes and is feeling to old to be doing this shared sleep thing in fact Ezzo looks good this morning (joke)