Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 09:50:00 -0400
I had a looong hate list about hospital I delivered in but I must praise for
the one thing I thought they did right.  They provided a wonderful candlelit
dinner for two (swordfish, steak, baked potaotes, etc.) for mom and pop all
the while telling me that I might have a long night ahead so relax, say
everything you want to say, cry if you must, cause you're gonna be too busy
tonight and for the next few weeks day and night to do this again. It really
did take the edge off the first night AND was a gentle way of letting the
mom know she very well might be up all night.

I delivered C-section and was several days in the hospital so was made aware
of the differences in nurses attitudes that made the experience, day and
night, pleasant or not. My first night nurse was very glad to give me my
baby and let me keep him in bed with me and nurse as we pleased.  The second
night was miserable as that particular nurse insisted the baby stay in the
baby box until he cried to be fed, and so started this lovely experience of
going to sleep just to be awakened by cries and a nurse bustling into the
room to get that baby latched and fed.  THAT was exhausting and frustrating.
The third night both nurses were working and even had an argument over
letting me keep the baby in bed with me; the former diligently watching the
door of my room the rest of the night as we peacefully slept and nursed the
night away with nary a peep or screech.

Lorri Centineo