From:
"A. Bon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:51:12 +0100
> Brenda writes:
> I work as the Breastfeeding Coordiantor in a WIC office, and here in my
> town
> we are seeing an unusual amount of failure to thrive in older babies.
> According to one pediatrician I spoke to this weekend, many of them are
> breastfed older babies (the pediatrician is a lactation consultant).  I
> may
> be helping her with some of these cases, and am wondering if any of the
> LCs
> and/or dieticians have experience dealing with these clients.  The cases
> where older babies (i.e. babies over 5-6 months of age, and often over 1
> year old) refuse to eat solids and only want to nurse constantly.  These
> are
> cases where the infants are "falling off" the growth charts.

my experience is that when I ask for the family history in 99% of these cases , there
is a strong incidence of allergy. These children refuse solids, and nurse reluctant.
Usually short nursing sessions. By refusing solids they keep themselves from possibly
harming food.

In case of short nursing sessions and relucant nursing behaviour, a elimination diet
of the mother may help.

regards,

Annelies Bon