From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:51:34 +1100
The trouble I have with these answers is that a "long" time breastfeeding
for many people is not something we could call long at all! Even when you
look at research "long-term" breastfeeding is described as from >5 months up
to 18 months depending on the study. I think that there is real benefit in
letting others know that real, ordinary, intelligent women breastfeed their
children for long times ie 2,3,4,5+ years.  Women gain confidence to
continue breastfeeding when they know that others are doing it also (how
many lay counsellors have had calls from mums wanting to wean their toddler
to discover in the conversation that they don't want to wean but are feeling
really pressured to wean because they don't know *anyone* who has breastfed
a child as old as their child?). Being cagey about it can give the
impression that it is something that you are embarrassed about/ashamed of.
It's easy to say, "I breastfeed my child for X years because that suited
us....probably the minimum recommended age of weaning is 2 years" No need to
set up competition but real need to get out accurate information.
Karleen Gribble
Australia