From:
Karen Seroussi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:21:49 -0800
Pia,

  It is always interesting to address a group that on the one hand has a higher educational and knowledge level and yet has a big whopping hole in a very related area.

  If you would like to address that supplementary and complementary introduction of foods other than human milk is not something to be done lightly, living in Finland gives you an unfortunate advantage.  Finland has the dubious distinction of the having one of the highest rates of Type I Diabetes increase--350% in research 1965-1996.  I'm sorry I don't have complete references, but these are gleaned from some diabetes lectures and that's all they gave.

  Diabetes Care: 22:1066-1070
  Hyoty et al Diabetes 49:1314, 2000

  You might also want to address the type of food addition because of significant links to the age of introduction of cereal grains and dairy products (cows milk):  Here are two studies about early introduction of cereal, sorry I coudn't find the dairy, but it shouldn't be hard to search for on pubmed.
  Ziegler, JAMA 2003: 290:721
  Norris JAMA 2003: 290:1713

  I also found a Finnish study that comments on the average age of introduciton of complementary/supplementary foods as 1.8 mo being connected to development of DM I and below the national goals for exculsive breastfeeding.
  Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005 Jan;59(1):107-13.  Infant feeding patterns in the Finnish type I diabetes prediction and prevention nutrition study cohort

  Hope this helps,

  Karen Seroussi, IBCLC, MS-2
  Des Moines, IA, USA