From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 02:06:56 -0500
hi
just a little tidbit that I have been telling parents (when they inevitably
ask about spicy foods - a New Orleans cultural thing) and the moms and dads
seem to smile about it:
breastfed babies get to taste many different flavors but formula fed babies
get the same blah blah taste day in and day out for months.
I say this is really nice and enjoyable for the breast babies.
I think someone also asked about building confidence. I think one obvious
thing is LLL groups. The other is having a "cheerleader." I think mothers
and fathers respond when you stay and visit awhile with them in the early
breastfeedings and give lots of positive "strokes." Like "look how he
cuddles next to you" and "she is in heaven just snuggling and nursing" or
"listen to him gulping, you have plenty colostrum" or "now your colostrum is
just coating the baby inside to help him fight infection." You get the
picture.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA