From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 1995 01:22:37 -0400
The question of the frequent periods has already been well dealt with.  I
just wanted to add my two cents worth about the cholesterol.  First of
all, premenopausal women are at low risk of heart attacks, largely
because their HDL cholesterol levels are high.  I have read that although
cholesterol levels are higher during pregnancy and lactation, the HDL
levels are also higher, so I doubt that there would be much risk (I don't
have the references handy, but I recall some discussion of this many
moons ago on Lactnet).  After the menopause, women who are not on
estrogen replacement begin to "catch up" to men in regards to heart
attacks.  I agree that this woman's smoking is more of a risk factor over
time than the cholesterol level.  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]