From:
Nancy Nurmi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:21:13 +0000
Dear Wise Ones,
Hx - 7 wk old with slow weight gain healthy otherwise and no trauma
at birth, birth with midwife thus no meds. Has been using SNS for about 4
weeks. Mother is on Domperidone and using Fenugreek and Blessed
Thistle.  Has slowly decreased supplemental feedings to one ounce
with each feeding.  Now gains about 4 oz/wk- but if takes less
doesn't gain.  Stooling every few days.  Has never had a vigorous
suck and in spite of good efforts at trying to get baby to take more
breast in her mouth tends to just quietly nurse. Mother does switch
nursing and proding to keep her awake.  Mother hasn't been
pumping x2 wks and I asked her to go back to pumping.  She is now
questioning all the effort and compares herself to a friend who's
baby was born three days later and all is well with them.  I have
talked about the other values of breastfeeding etc.  But her husband
is now questioning the effort.
Other suggestions to help this baby to learn to be more vigorous and
latch better?  What other things have you folks tired? Mom is, I'm
sure, capable of producing more milk but baby isn't much help and
 she is tired of all the stuff she has to do.  She wants the perfect
scenario and is thinking of giving up.

Thanks

Nancy IBCLC in Northwestern Ontario, Canada