From:
Louise Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 22:39:57 -0400
Subject: autoimmune progesterone dermatitis

I had heard of such a disease before since one woman who is cycling with
me had it 22 years ago. So...curious as I am, I had to find it in a book
somewhere!

Here it is, from Blackburn, S.T. and Loper, D.L. (1992).  Maternal,
Fetal, and Neonatal Physiology, Toronto:Saunders, p. 500-501:

"Spangler papular dermatitis of pregnancy, incidence 1 in 2000, onset in
any trimester of pregnancy and may be due to hypersensitivity to
placental antigens (autoimmune); characteristics include severe pruritus
with 3-5mm papules that are not cropped or grouped, location is mainly
on the trunk and the extremities; intense itching is present leaving
excoriated crusts on skin; there will be spontaneous resolution within
3-4 weeks after delivery and it often recurs in subsequent pregnancies;
called Spangler by Spangler, A.S. et al. (1962). Papular dermatitis of
pregnancy: a new clinical entity, JAMA, 181, p. 577."

And you are right, Jack, my cycling friend was treated with prednisone,
20 some years ago, during her pregnancy, and it did help a bit. She
recalls having arms and legs wrapped in warm pads soaked in water and
baking soda during the last month of her pregnancy. However, her doctor
recommended bottlefeeding since it would not disappear apparently 'the
whole time her hormones would stay up'!!!! And...also recommended not to
get pregnant again since this would recur!!! She had only one
duaghter...

Hopefully, it is not the recommendation today!!!

Hope this helps...

Louise Dumas, R.N., M.S.N., PhD
Professor-researcher in Nursing Sciences
Universite du Quebec a Hull