From:
"Hudspeth, Danni" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:43:09 -0500
Hi, all -
I have a nurse friend who just delivered a baby a couple of weeks ago.  This
baby had a cyst on the underside of her tongue.  She did not feed
effectively, so they went ahead with surgery at about 2-3 days of age.

After surgery, baby would not suck well on breast - I guess her tongue was
very sore from surgery, and she was also uncoordinated with her tongue
placement.  We finally, after several days of bottles, got her latched on
only with the nipple shield, after we had tried everything else I could
think of.

Baby will now latch on without the shield, but tends to "Flip" the nipple
with her tongue - very painful for mom.  Mom's nipples were already sore.
Do any of you have any wonderful ideas?  This would be most appreciated.
If we can help 1 NICU nurse, we are helping literally hundreds of patients!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

Dani Hudspeth, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Baylor, Dallas, TX