From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 15:04:03 -0900
Hi, netters! If someone with a talent for literature search could nail
down the exact reference for the following report that appeared in the
Jerusalem Post on September 3, 1995 (on WWW:  http://www.jpost.co.il for
those internet geniuses out there), I would be grateful:

Mother's milk vs. cancer cells
        A component in human milk may fight cancer, but so far the
effects have been tested only in the test tube, and not even in live
animal studies. Called monomeric a-lactalbumin (MAL), the substance
caused cancer cells to die.
        Researchers at Sweden's Lund University and Karolinska Institute
were studying the effects of human milk on bacteria associated with lung
cancer. Not only did it kill the bacteria, but it also killed the lung
cancer cells, according to a report published by the US National Academy
of Sciences. The active agent was narrowed down to MAL, which was found
to trigger apoptosis (cell suicide) of the cancer cells but not of normal
cells. The milk compound also induced apoptosis in experimental cell
lines of kidney, bladder and intestinal cancer. The Swedish researchers
said they will continue their work to see if it leads to processes
causing tumor cells to kill themselves.

Well, isn't that interesting? Or has everybody except me known about this
for years (as usual)? When someone finds the reference, please post it
for everybody if I really have discovered a new piece of research, but if
it is old hat, post me privately. TIA, Judy K in Israel