From:
LDYBG522 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 21:26:27 EDT
Dear Lactnetters,
I have been working with a new mom & NB baby for 2 days. Dad is very
supportive , Mom is very determined to breastfeed & would be willing to try
any suggestions that you all can offer. Baby was very sleepy day 1 & made few
attempts to breastfeed Mom was expressing colostrum & placing on baby's lips-
baby would lick it off. Next day baby did wake several times to attempt
feeding-mom has large, firm areolas that do not protrude well & do not
compress to fit into baby's mouth. We tried pumping, nipple comes out a little
but not enough to stimulate suck reflex. We tried supplementer/feeding tube
taped to breast-baby will lick anything that drips. Baby does open wide & gets
onto breast, gives a couple little sucks then falls asleep. I also tried a
little finger feeding. I thought that we might try a nipple shield tomorrow.
This mom would really like to nurse!
Thanks,
Laura Hart, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Central Florida-warm & sunny