From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 23:29:19 EDT
Hi Lactnetters!  I've had a few responses and thank those who've done so.  I
omitted some information.....I also evaluated pressure setting of the pump
and indeed it was on max and so I instructed on turning it down to low and it
resulted in a better comfort.  I also had instructed on breast compression
and skin-to-skin, kangaroo care.  She's also been taking blessed thistle.
When I assisted her with the initial latch-on using the techniques of "coming
up over the mountain top" or "taking a bite out of a hamburger, and also "the
lipstick on the balloon" uneven latch onto the areolar tissue, you should
have seen her face!  She looked at me and said "it never felt this way
before!"  She said the nurses had mashed the baby's head onto her breast to
the point where her baby's nares were blocked and when she asked them about
it, they said it was fine.  We proceeded to discuss the support of the baby's
nape of his neck versus the back of the head and she said "this all makes
sense!"  Anyways, thanks for the 100 minutes in 24 hours guidelines...I'd
forgotten about that and also Linda Smith shared with me the pumping for 2
minutes after cessation of drops.  So, I'll be mindful of those ideas as I
continue to consult with her.  I'll keep you all posted of her progress.
Sincerely,
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services
Geneva, Il