From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:16:52 -0500
Dear Friends:

I give a 2-session infant massage class at a local breastfeeding outpstient
center. Babies are usually between 1 and 6 months old in these classes. I've
noticed that mothers will often cover up when nursing in the first class,
but in the second class, no one does any more. I also notice a change in
mother/baby relations from the first class to the second. I see mothers
being more attentive, I see babies making more contact and anticipating
being massaged.

How do I know this? The first class, babies are often fussy when in position
to be massaged. By the second class, the babies have obvioiusly learned to
expect good things because hardly anyone is fussy. I love seeing this
change!

As I say nothing about mothers covering up to breastfeed, I wonder if the
more relaxed public nursing in the second class is a manifestation of
increased hormone levels or increased comfort. Maybe women cover up in a new
setting, and it could take a time or two before they feel safe enough to
nurse openly?

warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE
craniosacral therapy practitioner
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com