From:
Beth Hilleke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 16:34:57 -0500
My daughter would probably not be alive - or would be severely
mentally/physically challenged (are we politically correct or what?) were it
not for a LLL Leader and for a family physician.  After hearing my concerns -
symptoms were sudden decrease in nursing frequency, and some other things, the
LLL Leader said, "It sounds to me like you really want to call the doctor."
this was a thought that hadn't consciously occurred to me - and yet the instant
she said it, I knew that was what I was wanting to do.  The doctor, upon
hearing what I told her, said, "You bring that baby in here right now.  When a
mother of a 12-day old baby says something isn't right, I want to see that baby
as soon as possible."   (Thanks, Neg and Emily, wherever you are!)

My daughter is now 3.5 years old and healthy as can be.  She had three
congential heart defects: coarctation of the aorta, an atrial septal defect,
and a large, muscular ventricular septal defect.  Coarct was repaired
surgically when she was 22 days old, ASD healed on its own by nine months, and
VSD was repaired at 12 months.  She was breastfed totally for 6 months and was
still nursing a whole lot at time of 2nd operation.  She weaned at 31+ months.

During all these experiences, I met many parents who had to see several doctors
before convincing someone that there was a problem.  Katie's problems were not
evident at birth, and she was in the hospital for four days before the root of
the symptoms was diagnosed.  Such a big (9.5 lb), strong healthy baby and no
audible murmur and nothing else much to go on made diagnosing a challenge, I
guess.

Yes, we do have mother's intuition.  And don't discount father's intuition,
either, as Russ was disturbed by Katie's symptoms long (i.e. hours) before I
was.

Beth Hilleke
2425 Spring Garden St.
Charleston, SC 29414-5535