From:
Penny Soppas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 09:22:42 -0500
Nikki,

I think I heard that talk too  and remember one of her reasons why US mom's may not have "enough milk" may be because many of our mom's are adoptindg due to infertility problems and many of the moms she was referring too are adoptive breastfeeding moms due to war and death of the birth mom.  The mother with infertility problems may have hormonal problems that may also interfere with milk supply.

However the mom that I am working with now has to supplement with formula because she adopted a premie (30 weeks) who was bottle fed in the hospital.  The baby is 2 months old and mom has had to go back to work (teaching a college course, she is a grad student).  She was on an induction protocol before adopting (Jack Newman's protocol) and I think she could make more milk if she didn't have too much to do and could devote more time to pumping.  I think you are right Nikki not only do we in the US expect adoptive moms to not make enough milk for their babies there are all the psychological issues like maybe having to give the baby back (in Pennsylvania the birth mom has 6 months to change her mind.  We also put too many other burdens on ourselves as mothers instead of just feed the baby.

Penny Soppas MD,FAAP,IBCLC
Drexel Hill Pediatric Associates