Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 14:12:32 EDT
I have a mom of a four month old who is on her 6th bout of mastitis.   She's
been treated each time with Dicloxicillin ranging from 1 week to 10 days  --
each time she goes off the diclox, symptoms re-emerge within a week.   This
last time she was on Keflex, but will go back on Diclox 500 mg four times a  day
tomorrow.

I suggested a culture, as I think she's on the wrong antibiotic, but her OB
said that was "stupid.  I've never heard of that" and "just stop
breastfeeding -- I don't understand what all the hoopla about breastfeeding is  anyway."

We asked for a culture of the baby's nares and oropharynx, looking for just
anything out of the ordinary, but because the pediatrician hadn't heard of
that,  she declined to do it (though at least she is checking with infectious
diseases  to see what she should be looking for.)  Her solution was to pump and
feed  the baby the breastmilk.

Dang.

I've suggested (as of yesterday) ATC ibuprophen in small doses to get rid  of
the inflammation -- have gone over diet with her, rest, bras, etc etc  etc.
Baby perfectly healthy, no evidence of yeast.  Mom's nipples  fine -- no
cracks.  Baby nurses well -- frequently.  Sleeping enough  at night that mom feels
pretty good.

Other suggestions?  This mom said if I told her that going out and  eating
grass would help, she'd do it....

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Jan Barger