Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:42:01 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< ext step that we
 should take and not just cover up the underlying problem.  My husband had a
 lot of ear infections as a child, so our pediatrician says it is probably
 just hereditary.  We don't know which way to go--we want to do the best for
 our children, just like everyone else.  Any help or advice would be
 appreciated."

 Sorry if this is not quite breastfeeding related, but this is the sort of
 thing that gets brought up often "you see! breastfeeding doesn't prevent ear
 infections". >>
Dr Jack,
        There certainly seem to be  kids who will get more ear infections
than others for any variety of reasons, but taking my firstborn as an
example, sometimes there are hidden reasons. He only got ear infections when
my MIL gave him milk to drink. No more milk, no more ear infections. He went
4 years without an infection until someone at a picnic gave him a hot dog bun
made with milk. Since then, no milk, no infections. The time frame I heard
was that even though it might take a week or two for the dairy to get out of
the system totally, improvement might be seen in a few days. Probably depends
on the "dairy load" the body has built up and needs to get rid of. Luckily it
was our Ped who saw the "allergic shiners" under my son's eyes, and suggested
elimninating dairy as a test, because "the worst thing that can happen is
that nothing changes, and it doesn't cost anything to try it". I love that
kind of logic!
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn., NY