From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:17:54 -0700
<<How is IBCLC(student) different to  PhD(cand.)?>>

A PhD candidate is understood to be actively in the
process of earning her degree in a specific University
program.  She is in a program that is expected to end
with the conferring of this degree.

There is no degree program that ends with the
conferring of the IBCLC credential.  Instead, the
lactation student follows one of several pathways
until she fulfills the requirement to sit for this
independent certification.

That said, some of us might not list "PhD Candidate"
after a name and some of us are interested to know a
particular writer is at work toward certification in
lactation.

Normally I enjoy splitting hairs, but not among those
of us joined in understanding and exploring human
lactation.  I hope we can respect each other
individually and still respect the organizations at
work to set standards in our still-new profession.

I learn every day from folks on this list and off,
regardless of letters after a name and regardless of
slip-ups in the use of language.  I also try to take
posts in the best possible light.  I know what it's
like to be misunderstood in this format, and I'm sure
I'll have a chance to "re-learn" this lesson again.
(Maybe today!)  In particular, humor is often
misunderstood, a lesson I myself refuse to learn!!!

I'm glad to help promote the IBCLC credential in the
larger world community, and I'm glad to learn from the
many paths that have led us all here together.

Susan