From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:19:14 -0600
There may be information in the BAB on this issue under overabundant
milk supply. Some moms do need to limit nursing to one breast for 4-8
hours, depending on their particular milk supply. This information may
have come from learning what some mothers do to solve their own
problems. I have seen something in NEW BEGINNINGS magazine, from LLLI,
about a mother who did 8 hours per side. Depending on the situation, I
sometimes just have mom nurse one breast per feeding. Other times I have
them go ahead and do one breast for 4 hours, then use the other for the
next four hours, etc. Meaning baby nurses just on the one breast during
this time period and switches to the other side for the next time
period. The idea is to down regulate mom's supply a bit and get baby to
take in more fat with a slower flow. Test weights often show baby takes
in large amounts in five minutes. Baby is often fussy and squirmy at the
breast or latches fine to begin but slides to the tip of the nipple and
clamps down with the MER. I have seen a lot of babies twist their bodies
around or flail their arms while nursing (and test weights confirm huge
intake). Others pull off and cry. Baby may be "colicky" and have green
streaks or clear mucous looking stuff in the BMs. Baby usually has
explosive sounding BMs and moms call them "farty" babies. There is good
information on the LLLI web site on overabundant milk supply and Dr.
Jack Newman's handout called "Colic and the BF Baby." My experience
comes from observing babies at the breast, and then correlating the test
weights to the behavior. Plus, when we manage the BF better, baby is
happy, mom is happy, problem solved.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC