Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:45:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Dear all:

There is no formula company more disgraceful in their marketing practices than Nestle.  
Good Start is NOT hypoallergenic and Martha Walker has posted about this before.  

Nevertheless, I have seen with about three of the most severe cases of babies diagnosed 
with GERD (the handful of those that really have true GERD are pretty rare) that I have 
worked with they will sometimes APPEAR to reflux less on this formula - and sometimes 
less than the predigested formulas.  These babies that later have trouble eating solids 
that are thick and chunky and have a strong gag reflux.  In my tiny sample size, the 
problem SEEMS to be inherited because someone else in the family was diagnosed with 
GERD as well and it was anatomical.  I have not noticed a relationship with tongue tie.  

I say that the baby APPEARS to do better because there are two things that may actually 
be involved that are not related to it being formula per se:

1) Feeding position.  Sometimes mothers feed infants from a bottle in a much more 
comfortable position for the baby to keep the food down than they do when on the breast.

2) I suspect that this particular formula is not as thick as other formulas --- so it may 
merely be the texture.

I know that these observations run counter to the feeding therapy literature that some 
babies do better with THICK liquids.  I actually think there are two type of babies -- those 
that do better with THICK and those that do better with THIN liquids with the latter being 
less common.

Just speculation and my intervention would not be the formula, it would be positional 
work to make the baby more comfortable.

Best, Susan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2