From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:24:33 -0800
>This brings up all sorts of images of women in grocery
stores with babies hanging from scales suspended from the ceiling.

Chris, I live and work in a small town/rural community. On occasion when
parents are concerned about weight but are anxious about contacting health
professionals or when it is too difficult to get in to an office I will
suggest they use the local corner store scale. Almost every corner store
(family run not 7-ll's) has an electronic scale which is regulated and
checked by Weights and Measures (a government agency).  They are used to
weigh small amounts... bulk food in grams. It means the parents are in
charge of tracking the weight. The weight taking becomes a community event
with lots of sharing etc and they are given guidelines about when to make
the trek in to the hospital. So the babies may not be hanging from the
ceiling but they are definitely getting weighed. I have never suggested
this for pre and post weighing as it is something I VERY rarely do and
would want more control over.

Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC
Vancouver Island, British Colombia, Canada