From:
Marian Rigney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:37:44 +1000
Last week I posted to the Lactnet requesting if anyone had information
regarding the amount of colostrum required to significantly raise blood
sugar levels in a hypoglycaemic infant.  We are reviewing our hypoglycaemia
policy and I have a presentation to do next week to the journal club
regarding hypoglycaemia.  As there will be mostly doctors present I was
hoping to give research based information on this aspect as I will be
pushing for a breastfeeding friendly response to hypoglycaemia in the first
instance--most of us know that a relatively small amount, even 2 mls, is
often enough to do the trick if the baby did not BF. However there appears
to be no papers or journal articles on the topic.  2 lactnetters posted
privately referring me to the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine.  However
their recommendation of 10 to 15 mls/kg would have to reflect a more mature
milk supply so I am still trying to quantify an amount of colostrum for day
1 or 2--20 or 30 mls of expressed colostrum would be almost impossible to
achieve in one expression.  Does anyone out there have any info on the
subject??
TIA
Marian Rigney