From:
Jodi Barnard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:35:57 -0400
Jennifer Tow wrote :  "She recommends peppermint for nausea" & "...and for
the bath: melissa, ... "

I have to agree whole heartedly that peppermint was my saving grace during
pregnancy to allieviate nausea and headaches however, peppermint is a
stimulant and should only be used during the second trimester. (But I am
finding conflicting information on this also .. some sources say to avoid
completely during pregnancy due to the highly stimulating effects (Herbs and
Aromatherapy by Johanna Metcalfe), while other sources make no mention of
this safety concern (The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils By Julia
Lawless and The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie
Ann Worwood)

Jennifer (or anyone else)... correct me if I am wrong but isn't Melissa part
of the mint family?  As oils from the mint family have a drying effect on
the breast, would it not be adviseable to abstain from the use of these
during lactation unless drying was your goal?  Also, what other sources can
you add to clear up my dilemma about the use of peppermint in pregnancy?

Regarding the essential oils getting into the breask milk if applied
directly to the breast ... could you share a citation for this?  I would be
love to do some more reading on this.  Also, what about the use of lavender
and tea tree on the nipple to aid the healing of cracks/war wounds?  I ask
this as I had a Pediatric ER doctor recommend lavender on my nipples due to
internal cracking which I was not aware of.  ( go on and giggle ... I ended
up in the ER as my 5 day old dd was spitting up "blood" which looks so much
WORSE than just a little blood from a crack when mixed with breastmilk.  No
one told me this could happen with cracked nipples and logic did not kick in
until after I knew my babe was not in any danger!)  {{{ sigh }}} My first
lesson born out of parenthood naivety! :o)

Thanks for any added info you may have!

Jodi Barnard
Ladner, British Columbia