From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:20:50 +1100
Pam, I don't think that you are replying to anything I wrote, I think you
must have gotten my name mixed with someone else but I found your story
inspiring just the same. A story like that is worth publishing as a case
study as it will give direction and hope to others. Do you know why she did
not produce milk initially? I was talking to a mum recently who was not
making milk 2 w pp and I felt badly for her that she had no hope of having
an explanation for her problem (nothing obvious in her history) and badly
for myself that there was so little I could do to help her.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

> Karleen,
> I have a mom with twins (I think I posted on this before?) who took 3
weeks
> before she produced drops of milk.  At 10 weeks she is totally
breastfeeding.
> Only because of her dedication with a pump and SNS. She nearly died giving
> birth  She has had support from the author of Mothering Multiples, LLL,
and
> Lactation Consultants.  Her husband has been the most powerful support.
She
> refused to believe she couldn't produce milk.  We tried only breastfeeding
for
> nearly two weeks.  One twin didn't gain, one gained 4 oz. She is back to
feeding a
> little extra expressed milk but not much as they gained beautifully with
just
> a little extra.  It is a miracle one twin is nursing at all because he
> wouldn't suck unless the SNS was in place.  But this mom is a nutritionist
who
> educated herself 100% and REFUSED to give up.  So anything is possible.
>
> Pam Hendrix, RN, IBCLC
> S. Florida Hospital Based

> LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
> mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:18:46 EST
> From:    Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: oversupply
>
> In a message dated 2/17/2004 12:06:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
> Would it help if I pump a little before I put baby to breast to avoid
> giving her too much foremilk and thus create a f/h milk imbalance??  I
> should also try to feed a little less often, right (no less than 2 hours
> between feedings)???
> Dear Friends:
>     Pumping or handexpressing the first letdown can increase baby's
comfort
> at breast. Another solution is to feed baby on one breast for two feeds in
> row, and used the increased pressure of milk in the breast to slow milk
> production.
>     As for foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, the work of Peter Hartmann and
> Michael Woolridge has shown that babies regulate their own fat intake in
24 hours,
> and that fat content in milk is connected to the interbout (or inter-feed)
> interval.
>     When rate of milk removal is low, the rate of milk synthesis slows.
More