Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 14:15:59 -0600
My babies called it Milkies--not anything unusual, but I knew a couple of
creative names.

One mother called it "pie" (this was a second child) and when visiting once
the child announced, "I want pie." Mom declined and the hostess said to the
little one, "I don't have any pie, but I do have a cookie. Will that do?"
With the original request denied he felt that a cookie would do just fine.

A friend's little boy called one breast "this side" and the other breast
"that side." Whenever mom absentmindedly offered the "wrong" one, he would
say firmly, "That side, not this side!" She had to keep sharp to know which
one he was requesting.

One night while in the bath my 3-year-old announced that "this breast is
named Sarah and that one is named Barry." I protested strongly that I would
NOT have a breast called Barry. Well, you *know* what result I got from
that proclamation. We had a lot of fun for a while with it all.

It would be nice if we didn't have to disguise the breastfeeding request.
But all of these names and experiences add a delightful dimension to our
lives, don't they.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]