From:
Cher Sealy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 10:13:06 EDT
Dear Mary,
I am writing to say thank you for your beautiful letter to Lactnet.  You said
exactly what I have wanted to write and say for so long.  Living in Alabama
where both the poverty and breastfeeding rates are near the bottom of the
nation, I see many women who cannot afford to pay me.  I have chosen not to
charge and have spent years listening to others complain about my
choice--hospital LCs, other private practice LCs, husband, friends, and other
family members.  I am tired of hearing the words "expensive hobby."  This is
my life and I live it as I choose.  And I, too, choose to help others who are
less fortunate.  I try to live my life by the words of my favorite poem by
Emily Dickinson:
Not In Vain
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.
Thanks again, Mary, for speaking out on behalf of all of us who have this
personal philosophy.  I feel good about the choices I have made, and I will
not apologize for them.  And, yes, I do believe we ARE all on the same side
with the same goals.
Cher Sealy RN, BSN, IBCLC, LLLL
The Breastfeeding Encounter
Montgomery, AL