From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:54:52 -0500
I recall a case where a mom who was three weeks pp was admitted with
engorgement in one breast. She had decided not to breastfeed this time.
One of the docs ordered a breast pump for her and she was being given IV
antibiotics. As I only worked part-time, by the day I saw her she had
been on this regime for 2 days. I examined the "mass" and suggested a
referral to a breast surgeon. It did not feel like any abcess in
formation or plugged area I had ever felt. To make a long story short,
this lady had breast cancer and it was the rapidly growing type. She had
a mastectomy within 2 weeks. Never assume anything.... My only clue was
that it just didn't feel right; she was leaking some milk on that side
and pumping did produce some milk. I'll never forget that one. Check
back issues of JHL for the article (95) that Binky Petok wrote on breast
cancer and breastfeeding. She recommends referral to a physician for
-any masses that shows no decrease in size after 72 hours of tx
-afebrile mastitislike symptoms that are unresolved after a course of
antibiotics
-recurrent mastitis in the same area.
Good Luck,
Mary Kay Smith, CLE, IBCLC