From:
Baldwin & Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 20:38:06 -0400
Rachael - Gee, I thought you and Barbara were forming NABA because you knew
that LLL could not be radical with the breastfeeding issues, and you all
wanted to be activisits, to convince people, not just provide accurate
information. I think we all know that LLL cannot get into the position of
being labeled radical, or telling mothers they should breastfeed, but
instead LLL's job is to provide accurate information and support mothers in
what ever decision they make about their babies.  LLLI has a reputation for
being an expert in breastfeeding matters, internationally.  We are not just
the United States, and cannot afford to be labeled as trying to make mothers
breastfeed.  However, other organizations can do that.

I do see a big difference between providing mother-to-mother support  and
accurate information, and lobbying for legislation that would make
breastfeeding easier for all women and/or require the formula companies to
disclose the hazards of their products.  This would be mixing causes, and I
heartily agree with Lois' post about this!!! I don't see this as a lady-like
issue, but necessary for the survival of our reputation.

In regards to articles in New Beginnings talking about how legislation, did
you miss the one I wrote?  Nov/Dec. 1994, New Beginnings:  "Breastfeeding
Legislation in the United States".   Did you know that I submitted another
to them?  For your information,  LLL has assisted in the breastfeeding
legislation that I wrote about.  From the get-go.  LLLI assisted in every
step of Florida's legislation, which led the nation in brf. legislation.
They appeared in person when Illinois' bill was on the calendar.  Note, that
this type of legislation is PURELY about breastfeeding.  No other causes.
No other issues. What you are talking about, Rachael, are all issues
pertaining to legislation that indirectly could affect breastfeeding
mothers.  I agree that LLL should not take positions on these.  And there
are many.  And we have stayed neutral with this.

For instance - can you imagine what havoc it would stir for LLL to take a
position on how many days a mother should stay in the hospital?  I'll bet we
could get into a real heated discussion just on here if we started talking
about that!!! (I for one went home 6 hours after giving birth with my second
child - it was heaven!  Yet I certainly don't want women pushed out of the
hospital until they are ready. I don't even know what MY position would be
on the proposed legislation on this!!!)

I am sorry Rachael that you feel LLL is letting you down.  Feel free to call
me if you would like to discuss it further. LLL is not perfect, and the
Leaders are not either.  Cecilia, how do you know that the Leader who made
that comment did not feel horrible after doing so?  Or would have had she
known the effect it had on you?  LLL is full of Leaders who TRY their best.
But all of us have bad days, don't always have the right words come out of
our mouths, and make mistakes.

It pains me to see these repeated negative notes about an organization that
has such a big heart, and provides so much support to so many mothers.  What
does this accomplish, anyway?????  Can't we get onto some other topics?  Be
more objective?  Helpful rather than hurtful?  Rachael, rather than bash
LLL, why not share YOUR ideas for legislation, and ask people to write about
it?  Win-win????
Elizabeth N. Baldwin,  Esq.   305-944-9100  Home office:  305-940-7873  Fax:
305-949-9029
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]    or    [log in to unmask]
Attorney specializing in breastfeeding and the law; Leader; LLLI Legal
Advisory Council