From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:35:52 +0000
>What a very uneconomic way of working. Why don't they include the resolutions into the existing text, so that there is one complete, up to date text to read instead of a whole pile of files and addenda. As it is now, each and everyone will have to do the research again and again.<

Actually, I find it exciting and interesting to see the evolution of the
Code through the resolutions.  The resolutions are supposed to clarify the
Code and strengthen aspects.  Each one tells a story of a fight which was
current at the time:  the clarifications remind me of struggles past that I
observed at the time, through reports from those attending the WHA meetings
and which were sometimes reflected in debates in the UK.

To me, it makes the Code a living and evolving document.  It also allows me
to go back and see the Code as it was.  Imperfect, sure, but elegant in its
coverage of the issues and something that still stands as the minimum we
should really be enacting, yet continue to fall so far short from.

On the day we have national legislation in all countries which enacts the
Code, on that day, let us integrate all the resolutions into a new document
and start work on the next step as envisioned by the Code drafters: moving
on from the minimum provisions of the Code to increase the protection from
unethical marketing for women and babies.

Magda Sachs
Registered Breastfeeding Supporter, The Breastfeeding Network