From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:51:28 -0500
In a message dated 2/16/2004 3:23:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I would like some ideas for this client.  Infant is 6 months old.  Weight
> has been 5th percentile at birth, 10th at 2 weeks, below the range at 3
> months and had a gain but stayed the same level below range at 6 months.
> Length has been between the 20th and 10th percentile consistently.  Head
> circumference has been birth 10th%, 2 weeks 20th% and 3 moths just above the
> 5th%.  Infant was 6 lbs 6 oz at birth, he is now 6 months old and weighs
> 12lbs 7.4 oz.

What growth charts are being used? This baby has doubled his birthweight (approx) and per CDC charts, he has maintained an almost perfect curve for birth weight, albeit a lower percentile curve... Not to mention his appropriate to early physical development in some areas. Hard to see a problem!

> Until the 5th month he gained 16 - 20 ounces each month.  On the 6 month
> check he had gained only 11 ounces.  He also has been spitting up frequently
> at around 4 months, this slowed down around 5 months and cereal was
> introduced at 4 months to help him gain weight ( per pediatricians advise)

From what you write, his slow down seems to have coincided with intro of other foods besides mother's milk. (I've seen this several times with these slim kids. Gaining WNL and slow with intro of other foods, but BF always seems to take the hit. Makes NO sense to me!) But also, the research indicates that BF babies tend to slow weight gain after 3 months. Would think the doc would be suggesting backing off adding more foods that compete with mom's milk's calories in their highly bio-available forms and BF more vs. adding more high-calorie other foods that is likely to decrease mother's milk intake.

> The baby had an allergic reaction to food last week and was on prelone
> benadryl and had an ointment for diaper rash.

Wonder if his earlier spitting could have been related to bovine protein passing through mom's milk? Again, hard to figure why the suggestions are to compete with mom's milk (perhaps minus bovine, etc.) in a baby that may be more sensitive to other foods?

Karen