Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:26:04 -0500
Hello everyone,
  I am still nomail (sick kid, injured husband,
Passover and a new job are about all I can handle
right now.) however, I am interested in your feedback
to the following statement that I have drafted.
I guess I have two questions about it:
1. If you have specific feedback about what it says
and how it says it, please let me know.
2. I am trying to think of how to disseminate it. I had
thought of an op-ed piece, but I think it will have much
more power and be taken more seriously if it has the backing
of some medical organizations. Does anyone know contact people
(names, e-mail addresses, fax #s etc) at organizations like
AMA, AAP, ACOG and any others you can think of.
 Please e-mail me privately since I am still nomail.

Ground Rules for the First Y2K Baby
Naomi Bromberg Bar-Yam PhD
There has been much in the news recently about the ideal time to
conceive the first Y2K baby - coming up the week of April 19. However,
pregnancies have a way of being unpredictable, and even if you conceive
at
exactly the "right" time and carry the baby to term you may not deliver
the baby
at exactly the "right" time. Pregnancies average 280 days, but trying to
time a
pregnancy and labor down to the minute is futile and potentially
dangerous. In
our media crazy world, the first Y2K baby in any time zone will bring
both
monetary rewards and "15 minutes of fame" for the couple and
practitioners
involved. As a result, there will be tremendous temptation to force the
time of
birth by artificial means. News media and advertisers have enormous power
in
this situation. A simple rule for fairness and, more importantly, the
safety of
mothers and babies are in order. Babies whose births are brought about by
the
use of pitocin or other labor inducing drugs or herbs by cesarean section
don't
count as the first Y2K baby, even if they are born at 12:00:00 EST, CST,
MST,
PST, on the International Date Line or on any other time zone in the
world.
Knowing that newspapers and corporations will enforce this rule,
including
confirming the facts before publishing the article or awarding the
prizes, will
remove the incentive for expectant mothers and practitioners to use
unnecessary
pharmeceutical, herbal or surgical methods to time the first year 2000
baby.