Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:10:55 -0500
Jan,
  This is really out of my realm of expertise, but I'll add my .02 as the
mother of two small babies who went crazy with frequent weigh-ins both in
the
NICU and once babies were home.  I didn't see anyone address the
questions: Does the baby
look healthy?  Is the baby doing all the normal things that babies of his
or her age
do? Nine pounds is a lot to start with and if the baby seems to be
thriving otherwise, then do you really need to worry yet? My two four and
a half pounders
also had some ups and downs at the very beginning and we worried, but they
were otherwise healthy and, after a couple of weeks began gaining
consistently.
 I hope this is helpful. As I said, it is coming from personal
experience, not
professional expertise.
  Naomi Bar-Yam

New England Complex Systems Institute