From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:08:46 -0600
Instead of trying to ask a question that is trying to make her do something
or change her mind ( a question with a motive), in this case, I think an
honest reaction and question would work best.

"wow, may I ask, what has happened ( to you?) that would make a mom who had
previously happily breastfed a child for 2 years, now decide to not
breastfed her next?"

Asked with genuine curiosity and bluntness, but without a motive, maybe you
would have gotten the answer.  You could then work from there.

I propose this, as a variation of a sales technique I've been taught and
used, called the "door-knob" close.  When you've really screwed up, and all
hope of making a sale is lost, (you're being thrown out of the office, for
example) on your way out, with your hand on the doorknob, you say something
like "obviously I've really screwed up here.  I was supposed to sell you my
product, and instead you are asking me to leave.  Just for my education,
(since I'm new, etc) could you tell me what I did or said wrong, so I don't
make the same mistake again with the next customer?"

If you say this with 100% sincerity (you really have given up on selling
this particular customer),  9 times out of 10, the customer will put his
guard down, and tell you what you did wrong.. You now have the chance to
learn from your mistakes, and just maybe, you may still be able to fix your
mistake and even sell this particular customer.

(The tone for the statement above has to be NOT - "i don't believe you,
nothing could be a big enough obstacle to stop you from breastfeeding again"
as in a challenge that would make her defensive,
but more like "wow, this is new to me, I believe you when you tell me there
is such an obstacle, and I need you to tell me about it")  Once she feels
her experience and decision is validated, only then will she trust you to
possibily assist her in overcoming that obstacle.

Janice Reynolds
past sales and marketing professional.
Saskatchewan, Canada