From:
"Carrie L. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:18:45 -0500
Hello there:

I am a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and have been with WIC for 2 years.  I
do have a problem with formula.  I am an radical when it comes to
breastfeeding.  I feel that WIC is a very big promoter of breastfeeding, and
of course it also has to do with the clinic itself.

We at our clinic do not promote, encourage, or advertise formula.  We always
encourage breastfeeding every chance that we get even in the infant classes.

The fact of the matter is though, you can talk, teach, encourage, and
support breastfeeding until your blue in the face and you will still get
people who will  not breastfeed.  Sad as it is and it certainly does not
make any sense to me at all, but you do.

Well, since you do get these people, they certainly cannot afford the
formula on their own so what happens to these babies?  They have to be fed.
We always tell people though that WIC is a supplementary program and that
even though WIC  supplies 26 oz. of formula per month--that is not going to
be enough for their baby so they will have to get the rest of the formula on
their own.

During World Breastfeeding Month, we are doing a fair at the clinic durig
N.E. days.  One of the display boards will show just how much it will cost a
parent to buy the rest of the formula.  Also, what could they buy if they
didn't have to buy that formula.

I think that working at WIC is great because I can reach alot of women about
breastfeeding.  I feel that I have convinced women to breastfeed that would
have otherwise chosen to bottlefeed.  Anyhow, it gives them something to
think about.  Even if I only reach 1 woman, I have done alot.

Carrie