From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 22:09:19 -0700
Hi Jeanette,

Why not use a few statements from the Surgeon General's 2011 Report? This is not "you" (or "me") compiling the information - it comes straight from the Surgeon General and should surely provide the utmost credibility.

 People might also be interested to know that International Abbott Researchers, (urged to be ethical) acknowledged truthfully (Canada wide webcasts January 18, 2012) that "there is absolutely no evidence available on any health benefits to formula, when lutein and prebiotics, are added, as opposed to regular formula". How did we ensure only scientific information was provided?  We lobbied all the speakers and the heads of the institutions where they worked, (lots of letter writing with support from around the world) and breastfeeding advocates monitored all the webcasts and asked questions.  There was also NO mention of Similac formula, all the speakers mentioned the importance of breastfeeding and Dr. Gibson, the UK researcher, gave a little talk about breastfeeding. YEAH!

 Abbott's promotional brochure, for the webcasts, (targeted for health professionals) read:, "New Advances in Infant Nutrition: Recognizing the Importance of Prebiotics and Lutein". The message Abbott had wanted to give health professionals, was that Abbott could now make formula similar to breast milk by adding lutein and prebiotics. Have a look at Abbott's website for Similac formula.  It states," Our closest formula ever to breastmilk is coming soon". This information is under the Similac Baby Club tab (along with the free samples and coupons). ie. health professionals need to know that the information provided to them by industry is rarely scientific.

Renee (in Vancouver, Canada)