From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 16:35:05 -0400

***********************
> >One of the things that interests me is that not all women transmit cow's
> milk proteins through their milk.

Where is this information taken from?  I'd like to read more.  It is
contradictory to what I've seen.
***********************

I dug through my wad of colic and breastfeeding articles and came up with
this one.

Sorva J et atl, 1994.  Beta-lactoglobulin secreion in human milk varies
widely after cow's milk ingestion in mothers if infants with cow's milk
allergy.  J. Clin Immunol 19(4):787-92.

They looked at mothers of infants with and without cow's milk allergies and
after an oral cow's milk load 6 of 39 mothers of infants with cow's milk
allergies and 4 of 8 mothers of infants without cow's milk allergies had
undetectable levels of beta-lactoglobulin after an oral cow's milk load.

I think I may have more, but dont' have a lot of time to go searching right
now.

There's another interesting abstract, for which I'd like to read the whole
article that makes an interesting comment that "Milk from mothers consuming
cow's milk proteins contains small amounts of beta-lactoglobulin, in the
majority of infants both atopic and nonatopic TOLERANCE rather than
SENSITIZATION.

I find this area of research is so complex and so confusing. The biggest
obstacle to understanding the implications for breastfeeding is that the
articles often lump formula-fed infants and breastfed infants together as
if the process were the same!

Hope this is helpful.

Susan Burger, PhD, MHS