From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:28:11 EDT
I am now 4 weeks into my new job as a LC coordinator in a community
hospital.  This week I was informed that there was a "free" lunch available  from the
Ross rep in our lounge.  I took the opportunity to meet with him  (I had my
own lunch).  He was just there to give out pens and other items  with the Ross
products on them for staff to have.
He went on to say how he thinks breastfeeding is important and that he can
offer me any breastfeeding material I wanted.  I told him that I would  never
want any literature from him.  He asked me to at least look it over  and I told
him to keep it.  I told him that his bottom line was to have  mothers buy his
product and he admitted (in front of a room of staff) that if a  mother could
not breastfeed that he would like her to use his product.
The discussion went onto the diaper bag.  Is everyone aware that the  formula
companies now have a seal on their bags that are not to be broken prior  to
giving it to mothers?  They are getting wise to some hospitals emptying  out
the contents and then handing the bags to mothers.  Anyway, he stated  that the
sample of formula in a "breastfeeding" bag has a sign on it instructing  the
mother not to use until she contact her health care provider first.   Now, come
on, is that for real?!  What mother is going to do this?   Very few and they
know it.  When staff asked him about BFH that do not give  out bags he smiled
and said that the mothers are getting formula sent to them  from other sources
so the company is not worried.  This is where we need to  be vigilant in
teaching mothers that any time they give any  personal information out prenatally
this can then be sold to many  companies.  :-(
He went on to talk about how they have Dr. Meeks book to give to  mothers.
He implied that they had the auther's permission  to give these books out to
hospitals to then give to mothers and that this was  such an important thing for
all breastfeeding mothers to have.  I pointed  out that it was not Dr. Meeks
who gave permission to give out her book with Ross  on the front and back of
the book.  He said the AAP gave them  permission.  I said sure after Ross gave
them big bucks for the book.   I then asked him how does he get a book he
wants.  He finally said at a  book store.  That was my point exactly.  There are
many wonderful  books that we can guide mothers to if they would like to have
the  reference.  What the Ross rep wants the staff and mothers to think is that
 to breastfeed, one needs lots of literature and help otherwise it is just
too  difficult.  Whereas formula feeding is just so simple, easy and almost as
good as breast milk.
Here comes the zinger -- he told me that Ross has bought up a bunch of  Tom
Hale's books and offering them to hospitals!  He asked if I wanted  any.  I
said we were just fine and if I wanted more I would buy them.   Is Tom aware of
this?
As he left and asked me if there is anything he could do for me, I said I
would like him to bring literature on how to bottle feed.  This would  include
not over feeding, proper preparation of formula, using feeding cues,  obesity
and reflux.  He smiled.  I am not holding my breath on getting  this literature
but everytime he comes around I will remind him and keep him on  that subject
only.
I feel like Daniel against the giant.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA